Monday 10 November 2014

Starting the fight again (so I can finish it)

Occasionally I tell myself that I've fallen out of love with the Halo franchise. "It's a spent force", I tell myself, "out of date and clichèd and you can do BETTER, Daniel!". Which is weird, because I only get called Daniel when I'm in trouble.

This line of thinking falls apart with but a brief glance at my games library. I own all of them. ALL. Even Halo Wars (shut up it's fun for what it is). When I bought my original Xbox back in 2001, Halo: Combat Evolved was the only game I owned for a full ten months and by the time I scraped together the pennies for a couple more games I STILL played it. It's the kind of game where, if I pick it up now, muscle memory kicks in and I know exactly what is going to spawn where, where the glitched shortcuts are, and exactly when I'm going to die because I've only got plasma weapons and a Lekgolo pair are eyeing me up. Without eyes. Which is impressive.

It hasn't escaped my notice that the Master Chief collection is upcoming for those amongst us blessed with the reinforced shelving and hastily-constructed oversized gaming annexes necessary for the ownership of an Xbox One (shut up again I'm not bitter). Resolved as I am not to upgrade to upgrade to next gen (continue to be shut up I'm not calling them current gen) until the pricing and game selection is more competitive (and/or the Mass Effect, Fallout or Elder Scrolls franchises spawn a sequel), I thought I'd cut out the middle man and play through the ones I already have. Maverick that I am I thought I'd play them in chronological, rather than release, order. I was half way through Reach before I realised that ODST is the giant spanner in the works here, of course, but I'll forgive it because Nathan Fillion.

As I write I've got as far as High Charity in Halo 2, and it's pretty amazing how much of Halo and Halo 2 are ingrained on the nerd-centres of my brain. I'm sort of rushing 2, even if I feel guilty about it - I'd like to say I can get past how aged it looks, but having played through the Anniversary edition of CE, and the relatively modern Reach, I guess I'm just spoiled. On top of that, as much as I do love Halo 2, everything thing feels so... thin. And flimsy. I'm not sure that's anything to do with the graphics. But hey! I'm having fun - maybe even enough to ramble on some more sometime.

Apologies in advance. And no, I don't count Spartan Assault. I'm not an ANIMAL.

No comments: